Plan Your Trip
Helpful tips for planning a smooth rafting trip
White water rafting in the North Carolina Smokies on the Tuckaseegee River is an awesome adventure. Make the best of your day by being prepared for your trip. Here are a few tips to help your trip go smoothly before, during and after your rafting adventure with Smoky Mountain River Adventures.
What should I bring with me?
- Prescription glasses -If you need to wear prescription glasses, be sure to have some form of eyeglass retainer (strap) so they don’t fall into the river! You can buy one at our rafting center if you forget yours.
- Hat: pretty helpful for hot sunny days. No helmets are required on the gentle Tuckaseegee River. You can rent on if you want.
- Shorts (not cotton) and a tee (not cotton) and/or a bathing suit. We recommend shorts over a bathing suit to protect your tender bottom from chafing on the raft or ducky materials!
- Water shoes or sandals with straps, or shoes you don’t mind getting wet. No flip flops – they’ll fall off while you are on the river!
- You will get thirsty on the river, so you can purchase drinks at our outpost or bring your own. Small coolers are permitted, but remember that your boat rental is a two hour trip, not a week.
- NO ALCOHOL is allowed on the river. Be smart. Celebrate with your favorite beverage after you are off the river. White water and alcohol can be a deadly combination.
What do we provide?
- Boat (raft or single/tandem ducky)
- PFD (personal flotation device – aka a lifejacket!)
- Shuttle to the put-in of your Tuckaseegee River trip
- Professional guide with your boat if you are on a fully guided trip
- Your take out is right at our rafting center. No shuttle bus return needed!
- Safety talk and instructions on how to paddle your boat.
- Encouragement, smiles and high fives pre- and post-trip.
- Secure place to leave your keys while you raft.
- Arrive 20-30 minutes early so you have time to park your car, forget something, go back and get it, change into your rafting clothes, wrestle with your kids, drink some water, and use the restroom.
- If you are a walk-in reservation, you will need to fill out a trip waiver.
- If you booked online – you should have filled out a waiver already online.
- If you forget water shoes, sunscreen, hats, tees, water bottles or snacks – we’ve got you covered.
- If you forget how to swim – don’t worry – that’s what your lifejacket is for.
- If you forget your kids or your dad at home – hmmm – we can’t help you.
Lodging Options with Smoky Mountain River Adventures
We are excited to offer our new cabin, Lazy Acres at Highfield Cabins, as a lodging option for your stay in the North Carolina Smokies. Enjoy wonderful field and mountain views along with the calming sounds of nearby Greens Creek during your stay at this mountain retreat. A Smoky Mountain River Adventure rafting discount is included with the cabin reservation. Learn More & Book Your Stay at Highfield Cabins.
Check out our Visiting the NC Smokies page if you are staying in the area for longer than your river trip with us. It has helpful tips for lodging, restaurants and other cool things to do in the Smokies.